Tuesday, December 20, 2016

I'm baaaaack....

I've been away for awhile. Not only is it the busy holiday season but we are in the midst of relocating from Cincinnati to Baltimore. I have never made a long distance move so the whole process has been rather intimidating. And when moving away from home there are tons of goodbye dinners and activities that take up all the free time.

Plus, honestly, I just needed a break from politics. I have generated so much anxiety from the fear of the incoming administration I just had to stop thinking about it. I continued to stay engaged with news sources and political discussion but I had to refrain from analysis. I had to stop trying to wrap my brain around what was coming next and trying to figure out how to respond. But after yesterday's Electoral College fiasco I realize that my respite is over. It is time to jump back on the train and figure out what needs to happen.

I knew the EC was a long shot. I tried to hold out hope even though I knew in my heart it was not going to go well. So as I watched the votes pile up I grabbed Bernie's book and filled my soul with hope and the will to fight. I watched Full Frontal with my husband and children (it's okay, my children are both adults now) and I let her help me feel better about the finality of the vote.

I am making a conscious decision to start focusing on the positive. After all, he-who-shall-not-be-named is only one man. He is surrounding himself with a team of deplorables but even they are just a small group of humans. Overall, we are still a nation with a majority of voters who did not choose this administration. There are still more of us than there are of them and I have to believe that when all is said and done, good will prevail. Plus, as my daughter pointed out a few weeks ago, what change is worry is going make? I can worry until I'm dead but it isn't going to change anything. Action is what will change the world. And I cannot take action unless I surround myself with positivity. So I focus on the good. I get to Baltimore and find a political group to join. I get involved with politics at the local level because that's where we are going to make change. And when I get sad, scared, or feeling overwhelmed by this country's leadership....I will Google Biden memes. Good ol' Uncle Joe will always bring a smile to my face and peace to my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment